Eric Bowden has over 19 years of software development experience around enterprise and departmental business productivity applications.
In 2012, we were fortunate to work with Salesforce.com on an integration between Chatter and SharePoint. This post gives an overview of the product – contact us if you’d like more information about getting the integration in place.
Chatter for SharePoint: Overview of Features
Chatter for SharePoint includes two web parts: Chatter for SharePoint Team Sites Web Part and the Chatter for SharePoint My Sites Web Part. Features common to both web parts are described below and are followed by a description of features which are unique to each of the web parts.
Common Features for Chatter for SharePoint Web Parts
- Users can Comment on a feed post.
- Users can Like and Unlike a feed post.
- Users can view which users have Liked a feed post.
- Users can delete feed posts and comments, subject to permissions enforced by Chatter.
- Feed posts and comments can include @mentions, which includes a user look-up feature.
- Users can hover over user names, avatars, and @mentions in the Chatter feed to:
- View the user’s avatar and work phone number.
- Follow or stop following the user.
- Send the user a private message.
- Users can click a user name or avatar to be directed to the user’s profile page in Chatter.
- Users can click a group name to be directed to the group profile page in Chatter.
- User can create posts which include a file attachment or link:
- Users can upload files, from their local computer or from SharePoint.
- Users can share a link which they provide.
- Users can share files in SharePoint as a link.
- Administrators can disable uploading of SharePoint files to Chatter by web application.
- Users can free-text search all Chatter posts.
Common Features for Chatter for SharePoint Web Parts : Illustrations
Figure 1 : Comments
Figure 2 : Like a feed post and view which users also like the same feed post
Figure 3 : Delete a feed post or comment
Figure 4 : @mentions
Figure 5 : View contact info, follow, or send a private message
Figure 6 : Sharing a link
Figure 7 : Sharing a file from your local computer
Figure 8 : Sharing a file from SharePoint – Step 1
Figure 9 : Sharing a file from SharePoint – Step 2
Figure 10 : Users can search for Chatter updates
Chatter for SharePoint Team Sites Web Part
- Users can submit a feed post to the selected group.
- Users can view the text for feed entries from a group in Chatter.
- The Chatter group displayed is determined in one of the following ways:
- The user can search for and select a group by name
- The user can choose the group from among a set of groups configured as web part properties by the SharePoint administrator.
- The SharePoint administrator can configure the web part to display feeds for a single group.
Chatter for SharePoint Team Sites Web Part : Illustrations
Figure 11 : The user can search for and select a group by name
Figure 12 : The user can select the group from among a set of groups configured as web part properties by the SharePoint administrator
Figure 13 : The SharePoint administrator can configure the web part to display feeds for a single group
Chatter for SharePoint My Sites Web Part
- Users can submit a feed post to their profile feed.
- Users can view the text for feed entries from their profile and all entities that they follow in Chatter (e.g. the user’s news feed).
- User can filter feed items to display:
- All followed entities
- Feed posts which have been bookmarked
- Record types which are followed (e.g. Contacts, Reports, etc..)
Chatter for SharePoint My Sites Web Part : Illustrations
Figure 14 : Users can submit a feed post to their profile feed
Figure 15 : Users can filter the feed items